Friday, January 8, 2010

resolutions and reunions

Wow, so its the new year and a new decade. To be honest, I never thought I would live this long. As a child, I could only imagine myself to be 24. So every year I live beyond that is amazing to me. As with each year I have made resolutions. However, I have found it difficult to make them concrete. I know what I want to do, but to phrase each goal into words that I really could live by has been difficult. I have thought about just keeping the personal as a paper in my journal, but since I don't open my journal that doesn't work. What if I kept them on my wall by my bed. I would see them each morning, but then it becomes another fixture on the wall that I would have to make a conscious effort in the morning to look at. So I have decided to leave it open wide for the world to see and I am going to blog my resolutions.

Resolution #1:
As with every year, I am making a resolution to lose some ###'s. Why is it that every year, most people will make this resolution. If we kept the resolutions we make, this would be a one time deal right? This has been a difficult one for me to wrap my head around; but here it is: I am resolving to lose a significant amount of wieght this year. I give myself until September to meet my goal wieght. Because this is such a significant amount of wieght I am not going to reveal the amount to lose until it starts coming off. How mean am I? But, I do have a plan this time. My sweet SIL, who is a personal trainer, has put me on a program that seems to be working for me so far. For those interested, it basically has much to do with the "Body-for-LIFE" program. It has been difficult to start with the holidays and life, but I am taking one day at a time.

As a part B of this resolution, I am working toward competing in an Olympic Triathlon. Swim 1 mile, bike 25 miles, and run 6.2 miles. I hope to do this by September, so wish me luck!

Resolution #2:
The last couple of years have been crazy, stressful, and very UNlucky. So this year, I would like to live one day at a time. I would like to live it to the very most that I can and I would like to not take life so seriously. I know that sounds pretty cliche, but I am ready to relax, have fun and enjoy each day and not worry about life.

Resolution #3:
Since returning from my mission, I have been on the down hill slide as far as spirituallity. Don't get me wrong, I have had my moments. But moments is all that it has been. I would like to get closer to HF by studying MORE, praying more EARNESTLY, and putting more INTO my callings. I have had a few miracles in my life that 100% proves that HF knows me and loves me. I know what to do, I know how to do it, and its time to get off my sorry butt and do it! So to start, I have a challenge from Annie (thanks Annie) to read the entire BOM by April 1st. Then I would like to move on to the rest of the standard works and so forth.

Resolution #4:
Being inspired by the movie Julie and Julia, I would like to start the "100 Book Project". I have a list to the right of 100 books of all time. I want to be able to read these 100 books in one year. I will blog about my progress and periodically give a "book report" when I finish. I am excited and frightened as I have never been a very good reader. I read slow and steady so I am sure to comprehend it all, which usually results in not being able to finish a book before a months time. I hope this will improve my reading and writing skills and that I become a better person for this.

Resolution #5:
To make contact with everyone in my family at least once this year either by email, phone, or mail. I know this seems easy, however, my family is GIANORMOUS!!!!! So far, I have 180 people on the calendar this year. Thats just sibs, nieces, and nephews. Its incredible as I have filled my planner pages with birthdays its a bit overwhelming, but I CAN do this!

So these are my resolutions. Typical? Yes. Practical? Maybe.

For all you out there writing down resolutions, I wish you all, from the bottom of my heart, the very best in sticking with your goals. WE CAN DO THIS!!!! WE CAN DO HARD THINGS!

2 comments:

bamatamb said...

This is awesome! Good for you, and good luck to you, too! (And, as always, I love your blog background!:)

Brandi said...

You go girl! I will be excited to hear periodic updates. There will definitely be many moments of success. All the best to you in this journey!